Friday, December 15, 2017

Kipling's Bitter Epitaphs




AN ONLY SON

I have slain none except my Mother. She
(Blessing her slayer) died of grief for me.



THE COWARD

I could not look on Death, which being known,
Men led me to him, blindfold and alone.





THE BEGINNER

On the first hour of my first day
    In the front trench I fell.
(Children in boxes at a play
    Stand up to watch it well.)



COMMON FORM

If any question why we died,
Tell them, because our fathers lied.





A DEAD STATESMAN

I could not dig; I dared not rob:
Therefore I lied to please the mob.
Now all my lies are proved untrue
And I must face the men I slew.
What tale shall serve me here among
Mine angry and defrauded young?



SALONIKAN GRAVE

I have watched a thousand days
Push out and crawl into night
Slowly as tortoises.
Now I, too, follow these.
It is fever, and not the fight –
Time, not battle – that slays.


In 1922 Rudyard Kipling published a set of epitaphs for a fictional cast of people who had died in the Great War.  Ancient epitaphs from the Greek Anthology provided formal models.  A single one of Kipling's efforts in this genre became well known (If any question why we died / Tell them, because our fathers lied)  but even that one is seldom recalled with awareness that Kipling knew himself to be just such a lying father as he accused, and that his own son was lost among the dead.   

The prints by William Strang (1859-1921) are from the British Museum  chosen from a set of Thirty Illustrations to Short Stories by Rudyard Kipling issued in 1900-1901.