Sunday, October 21, 2012

Mario's Garage



Another new feature on M.B. Goffstein's ever-surprising site is a photographic comic strip called Mario's Garage. It consists of 550 of these three-panel episodes with many characters and many plot-lines that meander and recur in unpredictable ways. The two short sequences reproduced here can only hint at the complex allure of the whole.

Goffstein explains that, "as an eight-year-old American girl in 1949, I looked forward to joining the  workforce and supporting myself with my own comic strip ... I did try to get a strip accepted by a syndicate after college but was turned down ... last year, while shifting through my things before they went to the Berg, it occurred to me that at seventy, I still had time to make a comic strip using little bits of junk I'd saved."