Sunday, September 30, 2012

Cornwall


I got an online appeal from The Landmark Trust in England to help them (with money, ça va sans dire) in re-restoring the ornamental facade of the Egyptian House in Penzance, originally created as a museum and geological repository in 1835. Several decades ago the Trust preserved the building the first time around, creating three flats which can be booked by curious travelers.  


In 1997 when my daughter had finished her junior year at Oxford, I went over to do some traveling with her. We spent a week walking the cliffs in Cornwall and our base was the top-floor flat of the Egyptian House.


The flat's front door was original, curved (like the doorframe) to correspond with the curving walls of the steep spiral staircase.


Since 1997 one or the other or both of us have arranged stays at other Landmark properties. Probably the strongest reason for that loyalty is the harmonious mixture of period fidelity with practical but still tasteful modern amenities.



My handwriting on the back of the bottom photo (all these were taken with the disposable cardboard 35mm film cameras that were standard technology 15 years ago) tells me that I am repairing my daughter's purple hooded sweatshirt. She despises purple clothing now, but she liked it then. 

My daughter's response to this nostalgic series of photos appears here.