Thursday, September 3, 2009

D.J.


I like this dust jacket. The book came across my desk today at the library where I work in San Francisco. So I quickly formed an opinion of the dust jacket, fine, but all I can actually say about the book itself (which I have not read and am not immediately planning to read) is that the flap-copy is action-packed and suspenseful. Since that brief text was written not by the author but by the editor, all it really tells us is that the editor did a competent job.

However, somebody hired Adrian Tomine to design the dust jacket, and Adrian Tomine is my second-favorite graphic-novel author, only a fraction of an inch behind Alison Bechdel. It is a wonder to me how Adrian Tomine uses such clean lines and clear colors to achieve his particular brand of creepiness.