Monday, May 18, 2009

EIIR


"TRH, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Charles, Prince of Wales look on as HM Queen Elizabeth II unveils a new statue of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother on the Mall on February 24, 2009 in London, England. The tribute, which had been kept secret until now, stands in front of a statue of her late husband King George VI off the Mall in central London. It is just a short way from the Queen Mother's former homes Buckingham Palace and Clarence House and includes a 9.5 ft statue of the Royal matriarch." (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images)


I have never seen this art deco brooch before, and never could have pictured the Queen wearing that period if it were not evident here. I am sure this was a favorite piece of her mother's, who was young when that style was current, and worn here in honor of the occasion, all the more poignant for its incongruity. And I wonder if it wasn't probably a gift from her father to her mother in their early days of romance. The discreet pearls are surely of the same period, winkled out from the horde by the ladies in waiting.


My daughter and her husband are going to London this summer, a fact I only remembered after I had become fascinated by these photographs and downloaded them. I suppose I am vicariously dreaming about London all the time now, but mostly in a subliminal way.


The Duchess of Cornwall in a hat that I believe Susie Bubble would admire. It seems like the Queen is wearing lots of bits of fur lately, and I am guessing this demonstrates some kind of trade support, perhaps for ranched furs from Canada? Otherwise, it would seem needlessly controversial.





It looks like an interesting statue. I wonder if my daughter and son-in-law will come across it on their visit.

Source here.